Once you launch your Shopify business and have products to sell, the next step of getting customers arises. You’re only going to make sales if you have users coming to your store so you need to become familiar with some traffic strategies. Today we are going to lay out three proven ways you can increase your Shopify traffic and earn more revenue along with it.
Shopify Traffic Strategies
Social Media Marketing
If you are not on social media, you are missing out on a lot of money. Every network from Instagram to Facebook is growing consistently and not only that, they are becoming more and more integrateable with e-commerce. If you have signed up for Shopify then that means you have access to “Buy” buttons that you can place on your Facebook and Pinterest pages. Besides that, social media is an incredible tool for promoting, outreach, and getting to know your customers.
Assure that you have created a business page on Facebook and Twitter since these are universal. Depending on your brand, you may find Instagram, Pinterest, Linkedin and other platforms useful as well. Fill out the description, profile image, and all of the basic information. The next step is to find an account that is related to your business and follow some of its users, don’t do this too often though because its considered spammy.
Every time you write an article(which you should regularly and we’ll get into why), post it to all of your pages. Remember that people are on social media to be social, not to get bombarded with products so stick to the 80/20 rule. This means 80% of what you post should offer value like new posts, discounts, updates, images, videos and similar. The remaining 20% can be used to promote your products and sales pitches. You will notice people right away are much more receptive to this.
Do your best to be a part of the community on these networks. One of the best approaches to doing so is to like and comment on other pages/photos. This shows that you are an alive brand that doesn’t just automate their social media like many others. Take a few minutes out of your day to do this and you will get more follows, likes and traffic as time goes on.
A great website to dive further into social media marketing is socialmediaexaminer.com.
One of the oldest and most powerful internet marketing strategies is email. It has been around since the beginning of the internet itself so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it can drive tons of Shopify traffic. Go install the Mailchimp app if you haven’t already because it is the best free email marketing app available. Also sign up for a free Mailchimp account while you’re at it. It works pretty simply, you just create a list that your subscribers will be put into and start collecting! On the checkout, you can make it so that by default they accept to marketing offers. Also feel free to include an opt-in form somewhere else whether that’s in the footer, header or a certain page.
Now with email marketing you want to use it sparingly and effectively or else you may lose subscribers. If you spam them with meaningless emails, they will grow tired of what you are sending them and opt out. Try emailing them on a regular schedule like once per week with a new article or update to what’s happening with the business. Make the headline jump out with urgency and a unique title. With Mailchimp you can make really professional templates so they will be intrigued visually from the start.
The golden strategy of driving traffic is search engine optimization. It’s what every marketer dreams of, being at the top of the search engine rankings and getting non stop organic traffic. Truthfully it’s a lot easier than you probably think, it just requires careful planning and execution with some patience thrown in. We recommend that you set up every post you write and even products around keywords. These are specific phrases you research that preferably have lower competition but high search volume. Use a tool like Google’s Keyword Planner(free) to begin finding good keywords. Implement these into your pages, articles, products, descriptions and more. The search engines like Google will pick up on this and begin to position your website accordingly.
SEO isn’t just completed through keywords but something called backlinks. When a website points to yours through anchor text for example, they’ve created a backlink. Depending on how successful their website is will make the link stronger or weaker. Good examples of backlinks include:
- Guest posting.
- Social bookmarks.
- Web 2.0.
You should dive into Moz.com to get the basics of search engine optimization down pat. Even a little bit of SEO knowledge can transform your business so don’t skimp out.
Focusing on the trio of social media, email and SEO will yield incredible results for driving traffic to your Shopify store. All of them scale with effort and time so in the long run you will be getting high amounts of traffic if you put in the effort today.